Especially in case of a clouded sky, when light intensity is changing continuously, an ultra-fast MPPT controller will improve energy harvest by up to 30% compared to PWM charge controllers and by up to 10% compared to slower MPPT controllers. Load output Over-discharge of the battery can be prevented by connecting all loads to the load output. The load output will disconnect the load when the battery has been discharged to a pre-set voltage.
Alternatively, an intelligent battery management algorithm can be chosen: (see Battery Life).
The load output is short circuit proof.
Some loads (especially inverters) can best be connected directly to the battery, and the inverter remote control connected to the load output. A special interface cable may be needed, please see the manual.
Intelligent battery management When a solar charge controller is not able to recharge the battery to its full capacity within one day, the result is often that the battery will continually be cycled between a ‘partially charged’ state and the ‘end of discharge’ state. This mode of operation (no regular full recharge) will destroy a lead-acid battery within weeks or months.
The Battery Life algorithm will monitor the state of charge of the battery and, if needed, day by day slightly increase the load disconnect level (i.e. disconnect the load earlier) until the harvested solar energy is sufficient to recharge the battery to nearly the full 100%. From that point onwards the load disconnect level will be modulated so that a nearly 100% recharge is achieved about once every week.
Programmable battery charge algorithm See the software section on the Victron website for details
Day/night timing and light dimming option See the software section on our website for details
Programming, real-time data and history display options
- Color Control GX or other GX devices: see the Venus documents on our website.
- A smartphone or other Bluetooth-enabled device: VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart dongle needed.
Feature highlights common to all models
• Ultra-fast Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT)
• Advanced Maximum Power Point Detection in case of partial shading conditions
• Outstanding conversion efficiency
• Natural convection cooling (except for the 150/70 and 150/85 CAN-bus models)
• Automatic battery voltage recognition
• Flexible charge algorithm
• Over temperature protection and power derating when temperature is high Ultra-fast Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT)